Dry Eye Relief from Our Optometrist in Jonesboro, AR
Navigating the normal activities of each day can be hard for patients suffering from a dry eye disorder because of the discomfort they endure. However, individuals who visit Fletcher Family Eyecare in Jonesboro, AR can look forward to a number of treatment alternatives offered by our optometrist. We are dedicated to making sure our patients are both well informed and comfortable during each visit.
Overview of Dry Eyes
A majority of Americans older than 65 suffer from dry eye problems. The disorder has two possible causes: insufficient tear quantity and poor tear quality. Most individuals affected experience symptoms in both eyes.
The most frequent complaints our patients raise include:
- Eyes that feel tired
- Trouble wearing contact lenses
- Light sensitivity
- Scratchy, stinging, or burning eyes
- Blurry vision
- Excessive eye watering
- The sensation of an embedded foreign object
- Red eyes
- Pieces of mucus in or around the eyes
- Trouble driving after dark
Our eye doctor notes that in addition to advancing age, a number of situations might increase the risk for dry eyes. Among them are being female, suffering from specific disorders such as diabetes, wearing contact lenses for many years, taking certain medications, and undergoing prior surgery for refractive correction.
Dry Eye Treatment from Our Eye Doctor
The best outcome for treating a dry eye problem is using a combination of professional and at-home care, according to our eye doctor. Four objectives make up a treatment plan for this disorder:
- Using over-the-counter artificial tears
- Using prescription drops, cleaners, or ointments to reduce eye and eyelid inflammation
- Boosting production of tears with eye drops, an omega-3 fatty acid supplement, or both
- Closing or plugging tear ducts to help conserve natural tears
Self-care is an important component in achieving relief for dry eyes and in significantly increasing a patient’s level of comfort. Helpful steps to take at home include:
- Wearing sunglasses when outdoors
- Drinking enough water
- Diverting eyes periodically during extended periods of using computers and other electronic devices
- Raising the residence’s level of humidity
- Taking recommended nutritional supplements
- Following a daily regimen of eye cleansing and warm compress use
Schedule an Exam with Our Jonesboro, AR Optometrist
A dry eye problem can prevent patients from enjoying their favorite things. Take the first step on the path to relief with a vision exam from our optometrist. Our Jonesboro, AR, optometry practice offers quality eye care ranging from corrective eyewear to emergency treatment. Take a moment today to call Fletcher Family Eyecare at (870) 930-9200 to schedule your next exam and to take advantage of the most progressive vision care available.